Monday, September 21, 2009

Stumbling towards completion...

Monday... Need I say more? Well, okay.
I have things I need to do, things I don't really need to do, but should, and the things that I'm actually doing, which don't fall into either of the other two categories... How is it that we can find so much time for garbage, but there never seems to be time for important stuff.

The writing is still going. Although I had a bit of hiccup at the end of last week. I was writing a section that takes place in the middle of the book, and, well, I finished it. It came to a natural completion, and I'm happy with it. But, this left me completely confounded as to what to do next. I realized that I had no overall picture of what was happening in the book. It was mostly formed in my head, and was made up of little bits of the story here and there.
So, that Thursday, after sitting around asking myself, 'what the hell am I going to do?' I made a trip to the local Staples and bought three sheets of bristol board, and a three pack of cue cards. Now, I've started laying out a visible timeline of the things that are occuring in the story. This has allowed me to get an idea of the order of events, as well as arrange the sequences and their respective beats. Suffice it to say, I've gotten a handle on what I'm going to work on next and have already started. This is a great tool, especially if you have vague ideas about your story. When you start placing them on the board in cue cards, it shows you what you really know, or don't know about your story.

No comments: